Veolia Water Technologies partners with exploration, engineering, and mining companies to solve their mine water challenges, from production of potable water or desalinated water in remote locations to process water and mining wastewater treatment solutions for all types of hard and soft rock mining sites including solution mining.
We provide a full range of mining water treatment and filtration services including preliminary and detailed engineering, standard and custom water treatment equipment, project management, and maintenance support as well as long-term operation.
Meeting Your Needs:
- To improve productivity through mining water treatment technologies for production process requirements
- To manage environmental risks by treating contaminated water to achieve water quality suitable for reuse or for safe discharge into the environment
- To add value to the bottom line by treating sludge streams to recover suspended and dissolved constituents
- To have robust and reliable equipment requiring minimal unplanned maintenance
- To cope with production peaks while complying with stringent regulations
- To guarantee long-term efficiency and cost control through operations services
- To ensure your social license to operate
- Biological Wastewater
- Evaporation & Crystallization
- Ion Exchange
- Membrane Systems
- Metals Removal
- Process Water
- Reuse & Reclaim
- Utility Water Treatments
- Industrial Wastewater Treatment
- Water Treatment Chemicals
- ZLD Solutions
Regardless of the source of the intake water, Veolia's mine water treatment technologies ensure there is a consistent supply of water to the facility.
Leach Liquor Filtration
Veolia’s precoat filtration and vacuum deaeration technologies help gold and silver producers achieve maximum efficiency in their gold and silver recovery operations. By filtering the cyanide leach solution before zinc precipitation, precipitated impurities that could be carried over from the decantation steps are removed. No more than a trace of oxygen is left, minimizing zinc and cyanide consumption.
Veolia is experienced in helping clients reduce their financial exposure and comply with discharge requirements and stringent environmental regulations regarding water management. We understand the unique requirements of mining operations and our worldwide expertise in mine water issues allows us to offer specialized water treatment solutions that treat water and efficiently remove a wide range of contaminants such as heavy metals and minerals, arsenic, suspended solids, organics, iron, manganese, and specific ions that can impact the local environment.
Veolia offers a unique combination of water and solid waste treatment capabilities, which enable us to tailor solutions to each mine’s tailings challenge. Veolia ensures overflow compliance and water treatment, but we also look at the overall wastewater strategy. In particular, Veolia investigates opportunities to treat wastewater at source point to reduce the load going to tailings and we see tailings as an opportunity for water and metals recovery to make the most from the available resources.
Acid Mine Drainage
Operating mines, as well as abandoned mine sites, generates acid mine drainage which requires water treatment to prevent adverse impacts to rivers and streams. Veolia has developed a proprietary process known as DenseSludge™ to reduce sludge management costs and improve the operating efficiency of treatment plants. The process utilizes conventional equipment combined with our process expertise in sludge recycle techniques to form a heavier, denser sludge. This solution reduces sludge volume in the clarifier by up to 90% and improves lime utilization, resulting in significant savings.
Solutions Mining and/or Resource Recovery
Veolia provides the expertise required for several mining production processes. HPD® evaporation and crystallization systems are often a critical component in evaporites and solution mining, by-product recovery, and internal water process management for the mining industry.
Veolia Water Technologies offers a wide range of mining water treatment service options for mines including Hubgrade™ digital services to monitor your mine water from a distance and mobile water and wastewater processing treatment solutions to cover emergency, temporary or long-term water treatment needs.
Focusing on system performance, compliance with process and environmental requirements and long-term cost-effectiveness, we are able to meet the most demanding standards of reliability, safety and quality.
- Tailings pond water treatment for reuse or discharge
- Gold / Silver cyanide solution treatment
- Merrill-Crowe clarification filters
- Treatment of contaminated pit and underground mine water
- Reuse of mine water for irrigation
- Heavy metals removal / metal recovery
- Ammonia / Nitrate removal
- Effluent treatment
- Sulfate reduction
- Potable water and sanitary systems (mining camps)
- Resource recovery
Veolia Water Technologies has proven expertise within a variety of different mine types including:
Case Study - Canadian Gold Mine
Location: British Columbia, Canada
A leading gold mine producer needed a wastewater treatment plant to remove Total Suspended Solids (TSS) and some heavy metals from their new gold mine effluent by using as little land space as possible while producing a solid waste. The permanent effluent treatment system consisted of several Veolia proprietary technologies which were selected for their robustness and compactness, starting with the Actiflo® high-rate ballasted clarification process for primary metals removal. The water was further polished by a highly-efficient Hydrotech™ Discfilter, which gave added insurance in meeting very stringent discharge criteria. A centrifuge was installed to dewater the sludge. The inlet flow was between 3,200 and 6,000 m3/d.
Veolia's innovative technologies for the mining industry include:
Actiflo® High-Rate Clarifier/Softener
Small-footprint technology in which water is flocculated with microsand and polymer to increase settling velocity for the removal of more than 99% of TSS.
AnoxKaldnes™ MBBR (Moving Bed Biofilm Reactor)
Compact Moving Bed Biofilm Reactor engineered to effectively remove BOD/ COD and nitrogen, with a high tolerance to load variation and toxicity
HPD® Evaporation & Crystallization
Evaporation and crystallization technologies to recover valuable products and byproducts. Brine concentration and product precipitation. Crystallizers for product purification.
Multiflo® High-Rate Softener
Proprietary softening process that incorporates chemical precipitation with sludge thickening to produce an effluent with low concentrations of scale-formers and a highly concentrated sludge that can be easily dewatered.
Webinars Available On-Demand
- Reducing Toxicity from a Gold Mine Effluent
- Sulfate Removal From Mine Water
- Metals Removal Technologies for Mine Water
- Aquavista: Smarter Water Management for Mines
- Precoat Filtration 101
- The Remediation Water Treatment "Box of Tools" - Processes and Technologies Explained with Case Studies for Contamination with Heavy Metals, PFAS, Hydrocarbons, ARD/AMD, etc.
Mining Articles and Publications
- Moving Mining with Mobile Water Treatment
- Water Treatment for Abandoned Mine Sites
- A New Use for MBBR Technology
- Wastewater treatment using MBBR in cold climates
- How smart lithium miners choose evaporation and crystallization technologies to reduce risk and boost production
- Preparing for Tighter Mine Regulations
Meet Our Team
VP of Business Development - Heavy Industry
Canada & US
Sales Manager, Whittier Filtration
Los Angeles, CA
Senior Sales Manager, HPD® Evaporation and Crystallization
Executive Director - Business Development